Undertale is a popular game that has been around since its initial release in 2015, but it’s still well-loved by players all over the world. For those who haven’t played it yet, the first question that comes to mind is: Is Undertale free or not? This question is not as straightforward as it may seem, but it’s an important one. In this article, we’ll examine the different versions of Undertale available, the hidden costs players might encounter, and how to play the game for free (without resorting to piracy). We’ll also explore the reasons why you should play this game, regardless of the price, and whether its cost (or lack thereof) impacts its overall value.
Uncovering the Truth: Is Undertale Really Free to Play?
Undertale is available on various platforms, including PC, Mac, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, and Nintendo Switch. However, the game isn’t free across all of these platforms. On PC and Mac, players can purchase Undertale on Steam, GOG, or the game’s official website for a one-time fee of $9.99. The game might go on sale for a lower price during Steam sales or its fifth anniversary, so it’s a good idea to keep an eye out for discounts if you’re a budget gamer.
On consoles, the price of Undertale varies, depending on the platform and the region. In some cases, the game may include additional content or enhancements compared to the PC version. For example, the Nintendo Switch version of Undertale includes a color booklet about the game’s development and a new introductory sequence. The PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita versions also include a dynamic PlayStation 4 theme as a bonus. However, the price for console versions can range from $14.99 to $24.99.
It’s worth noting that Undertale does not have any in-app purchases or microtransactions, so once you’ve paid for the game, you own the full game. You don’t have to worry about spending money on extra skins, outfits, or bonuses.
Top 5 Reasons to Play Undertale, the (Mostly) Free Game of the Year
Now that we’ve established the cost of Undertale, let’s talk about why you should play this game, even if it’s not entirely free. Here are the top five reasons why Undertale is worth your time and money:
1. Unique Story: Undertale’s story is unlike any other. You play as a child who falls into the Underground, a world full of monsters who were banished there following a long-ago war with humans. The game’s narrative, dialogue, and characters are engaging and memorable.
2. Multiple Endings: Undertale is a game with multiple endings, each with different consequences and outcomes based on the player’s actions and decisions. The game encourages replayability, as players discover new possibilities with each playthrough.
3. Nostalgic Graphics and Music: The game’s 8-bit graphics and chiptune soundtrack pay homage to classic RPGs like Final Fantasy, while also incorporating a modern twist.
4. Innovative Gameplay Mechanics: Undertale’s gameplay mechanics are unique, as players can choose to befriend or fight enemies, instead of simply defeating them. The game also uses bullet hell elements during battles, which keeps players on their toes.
5. Emotional Impact: Undertale tackles deep themes such as morality, friendship, and loss, and delivers a powerful emotional punch. The game has been known to make some players cry, laugh, and feel all the feels.
How to Play Undertale for Free (Without Resorting to Piracy)
While Undertale is an affordable game compared to other AAA titles, some budget gamers might prefer to play the game for free. However, we don’t condone piracy or any illegal activity, as it harms the creators and developers who worked hard on the game. Here are some legitimate ways to play Undertale for free:
1. Use Free Trials: Platforms like Steam and GOG offer free trials of some games for a limited time. If you’re interested in trying out Undertale without spending money, wait for a free trial offer, and play the game during that time.
2. Participate in Giveaways: Developers might offer promotional codes or giveaways as part of their marketing strategy. Follow the official Undertale social media channels and websites to keep up with any opportunities to win a free copy of the game.
3. Borrow a Friend’s Copy: If you have a friend who owns the game, ask them if they would let you borrow their copy. You can even play it together, as Undertale has cooperative gameplay options.
The Hidden Costs of Undertale: What You Need to Know Before You Play
While Undertale is mostly a free game, there are some potential costs that players should be aware of before they start playing. Here are some examples:
1. Internet Access: If you’re playing the game online, you need a stable internet connection. Depending on your location and internet provider, this might cost you extra fees or data usage.
2. Upgrades and Accessories: If you’re playing the game on consoles, you might want to purchase additional accessories such as controllers or headphones, depending on your preference. These costs are not directly related to Undertale, but they might impact your overall gaming experience.
3. Demands on Time: Undertale is an immersive game that requires the player’s attention and focus. Depending on the player’s style of gameplay, the game might take longer to complete than other games on the market, which means that players might have to dedicate more time to playing the game.
Undertale: Is it Worth the Price?
Ultimately, whether Undertale is worth the price depends on each player’s preferences and financial situation. However, we can argue that the game’s strengths, as described above, more than justify its price point. The game’s unique and innovative gameplay, emotional storytelling, and engaging characters provide a gaming experience that is hard to replicate in other games.
Moreover, supporting independent game developers like Toby Fox, the creator of Undertale, helps promote creativity and diversity in the gaming industry. By purchasing Undertale, players are not only getting a fantastic game but also showing their support for small game studios and developers.
In conclusion, Undertale is a fantastic game that is worth playing, regardless of its cost (or lack thereof). Those who can afford the game’s price should purchase it to fully enjoy the game’s experience. However, players on a budget should consider other legitimate options to play the game for free, without resorting to piracy. Regardless of your approach, Undertale promises to be a memorable experience for anyone who gives it a chance.