A clean home is a reflection of a healthy life, and owning a Dyson vacuum cleaner is a great way to keep your home free from dirt and dust. However, for your Dyson vacuum cleaner to work efficiently, cleaning it is important. This article aims to guide you on how to clean your Dyson vacuum cleaner to ensure it functions correctly and lasts longer.
II. Disassembling the Dyson Vacuum Cleaner
Before you can begin cleaning the individual parts of the vacuum cleaner, you must first disassemble it. Refer to the manufacturer’s instructions for specifics as disassembly varies with each model. For most Dyson vacuums, the steps are as follows:
- Unplug the vacuum cleaner from the power outlet.
- Press the release button to remove the bin from the vacuum cleaner.
- Remove the bin’s separator from the main body of the vacuum cleaner.
- Detach the wand from the hose by pressing the release button and sliding the wand out.
- Remove the clear bin from the cyclone and set it aside.
- Remove the filter by turning the filter cover anti-clockwise until it clicks. Remove the filter and set it aside.
III. Cleaning the Filter
The next step is to clean the filter. The filter traps dust, dirt and allergens to prevent them from damaging the internal parts of the vacuum. Cleaning the filter ensures that it doesn’t clog and reduce the vacuum’s suction power.
To clean the filter:
- Run the filter under cold running water to get rid of any loose dust particles and debris.
- Use a soft-bristled brush to remove stubborn dirt from the filter’s surface.
- Allow the filter to dry completely for at least 24 hours before returning it to the vacuum cleaner.
Note: Depending on the model of your Dyson vacuum cleaner and frequency of use, you may need to clean your filter less or more often.
IV. Cleaning the Dustbin
After removing the filter and cleaning it, it’s time to clean the dustbin, which is where all the dirt and debris collected by the vacuum cleaner builds up. Cleaning the dustbin eliminates bad odors, and prevents blockages that can clog the filters and damage the power tools.
To clean your Dyson vacuum’s dustbin:
- Remove the dustbin from the vacuum cleaner.
- Discard the collected debris and dust from the inside of the bin.
- Wash the dustbin with cold water and soap using a cloth or brush to remove stuck dirt and debris.
- Rinse the dustbin thoroughly with clean running water and set it aside to dry completely.
Note: Some Dyson vacuum cleaners have a washable dustbin that needs cleaning before reuse.
V. Cleaning the Brush Roll
The brush roll takes care of removing dirt and debris from carpets, floors, and other surfaces. A dirty brush roll minimizes the vacuum cleaner’s efficiency and can damage the brush bristles, reducing the vacuum’s lifespan.
To clean the brush roll:
- Use scissors or a brush to remove any hairs or debris that have wrapped around the brush.
- Disconnect the brush by pushing the button located beside the brushroll. This will release the brush roll from the vacuum cleaner, and you can remove it.
- Clean the brush roll by using clean water and mild soap to wash off any dirt or debris. If debris or dirt sticks to the brush roll, use a brush to remove them.
- Make sure the brush is dry before reassembling it into the cleaner.
Note: Depending on how frequently you use your Dyson vacuum cleaner, you may need to clean the brush roll more or less often.
VI. Cleaning the Exterior
Cleaning the exterior of your Dyson vacuum helps to maintain its appearance and make it look new. Clean the vacuum’s exterior regularly to prevent dust and other debris from settling on the machine’s surface for a long time.
To clean the vacuum’s exterior:
- Use a soft damp cloth to clean the machine’s surface gently.
- Wipe the machine’s components with a clean dry cloth.
- Make sure there is no moisture left on the cleaner before plugging it in for use.
VII. Reassembling the Dyson Vacuum Cleaner
After cleaning all of the vacuum cleaner’s components and ensuring they are dry, it’s time to reassemble the cleaner.
To reassemble your Dyson vacuum cleaner:
- Place the dried filter into the filter’s housing socket, ensuring that it clicks into place.
- Return the clear bin to the cyclone.
- Attach the wand to the hose by sliding it back into position and until it clicks with the release button.
- Place the bin’s separator back into the main body of the vacuum cleaner.
- Return the bin to the vacuum cleaner until it clicks with the release button.
Regularly cleaning your Dyson vacuum cleaner is an essential aspect required to keep your home clean and healthy. Cleaning the filter, dustbin, brush roll, and exterior after every use will ensure your vacuum cleaner is efficient and lasts longer. Remember to take proper care of your Dyson vacuum cleaner to avoid expensive repairs and improve its longevity.
Final Tips on Maintenance:
- Check your vacuum’s manual to see if there are any other specific maintenance instructions that you need to follow.
- Service your Dyson vacuum cleaner every year.
- Replace filters, belts, and parts often to maintain the vacuum cleaner’s effectiveness.