When you cook regularly, your oven glass door gets dirty, making it hard to see your food as it cooks. On some occasions, you may develop some unpleasant odors during cooking due to spills and stains inside the oven. Dirty oven glass also makes your appliance look unattractive. Cleaning inside oven glass is a must, but a lot of people do not know how to do it the right way. In this article, we’ll explore the step-by-step process of cleaning oven glass. We’ll also learn how to maintain it and keep it clean and safe.
Step-by-Step Guide: How to Clean the Inside of Oven Glass
Before jumping into cleaning your oven glass, you need to have the required materials. Most of these items you can easily find in your kitchen. Here are some things that you’ll need:
- Baking soda
- Dishwashing soap
- Microfiber cloth
- Bristle brush
After having the essential materials, follow these simple steps:
- Turn off the oven and unplug it.
- Wait for the oven to cool down.
- Open the oven door and remove all the racks inside. Wipe each rack using a sponge.
- Create a baking soda paste in a bowl by mixing three parts baking soda with one part water. Mix until you have a thick paste.
- Scrape any large chunks of food or debris from the oven walls using the scraper.
- Apply the baking soda paste to the inside glass of the oven door.
- Wait for 30 minutes to let the baking soda paste work its magic, breaking up grime on the glass.
- While waiting, clean the oven’s interior walls using a sponge.
- Use a damp cloth or sponge to remove the baking soda paste from the oven door glass.
- Use a vinegar spray: Mix one-part water and one-part vinegar in a spray bottle for cleaning the oven glass.
- Spray vinegar onto the glass and wipe it down with a clean microfiber cloth.
- Lastly, reinsert all oven racks back in place.
Following these steps will help you achieve a cleaner, clearer, and more desirable oven glass.
DIY Cleaning Solutions
Are you in search of DIY cleaning solutions for your oven glass? You’re in the right place. Below are some of the most effective cleaning solutions;
- Baking soda paste: Baking soda is a natural deodorizer and an excellent non-toxic abrasive. It is effective in cleaning the toughest stains on your oven glass’s interior walls.
- Vinegar spray: Vinegar is an acid that is effective in cleaning grease deposits, food debris, and other stains on oven glass.
- Dish soap: Use a mild dishwashing detergent when mixed with warm water, creating a cozy foam that cleans your oven glass.
- Ammonia: Ammonia is a less natural but potent solution for deep cleaning. Just mix ammonia and water in a bowl, remove the oven racks, and place the bowl in the oven. Close the oven door and leave the mixture overnight.
It’s essential to know that you should never mix ammonia with vinegar, as the result can be dangerous.
You can also use commercial cleaning products if you find the process of making homemade cleaning solutions tedious. These products work perfectly with different types of oven glass. Here are some cleaning products that you’ll find effective:
- Krud Kutter: This spray works great in cutting through oven glass grime without leaving a cloudy residue.
- Affresh: This appliance cleaner is perfect for use on virtually any kitchen appliance, including an oven glass door.
- Oven Pride: Applies to both the oven’s interior and exterior is an excellent choice for clean kitchen appliances.
- Mr. Muscle: Perfect for use on oven walls and glass, Mr. Muscle cuts through through grease easily.
Before purchasing, check the cleaning products to ensure that they are safe for your oven glass surface.
When cleaning an oven glass, it’s crucial to observe proper safety measures. Here are some tips to stay safe:
- Wear gloves: Consider wearing rubber gloves to protect your hands during cleaning.
- Proper ventilation: Ensure proper ventilation in the kitchen during cleaning by opening your windows or turning on the kitchen fan. This is particularly crucial while using ammonia.
- Avoid harsh chemicals: If you do not prefer using strong chemicals, consider using natural solutions available.
- Protect your eyes: Wear protective eyewear to avoid contact with any cleaning solution that may explode into your eyes.
- Never clean the oven while it is on: Ensure that your oven is turned off before commencing cleaning.
One of the best ways to maintain a clean oven glass is by developing simple habits. Here are some tips to maintain your oven glass:
- Regular cleaning: After cooking, you should wipe down the oven using a microfiber cloth to prevent grease build-up.
- Avoid spills and stains: Prevent spills and stains by covering food with a lid or aluminum foil.
- Remove large debris: After cooking, remove large food debris such as baked-on foods from the oven using a scraper.
- Clean racks regularly: Wipe the oven racks with soap and water to prevent grime build-up and stains.
- Deep Cleaning: Do deep cleaning of your oven every six months to ensure that you get rid of all grime and build-up.
Cleaning your stove glass is an essential household chore. The good news is that the above-outlined cleaning steps will make the process much more manageable and ultimately much more effective and satisfying. The goal is to ensure a comfortable and safer cooking experience. Also, always check on safety measures when cleaning, and take care that you do not damage the oven glass material. Lastly, be sure to maintain your oven glass for a more extended period, and it will thank you.