As summer comes to a close and the school year approaches, it’s time to start thinking about back-to-school shopping. Fortunately, Alabama offers a tax free weekend to help shoppers save on certain items during this time. But when is it, and what exactly is tax free weekend? In this article, we’ll guide you through everything you need to know to take advantage of this money-saving opportunity.
Everything You Need to Know About Tax Free Weekend in Alabama
During tax free weekend in Alabama, certain items are exempt from state sales tax, meaning shoppers can save up to 10% on their purchases. These items include clothing items that cost $100 or less per item, school supplies that cost $50 or less per item, and select electronics that cost $750 or less per item.
To be eligible for tax exemption, shoppers must meet certain criteria. Individuals can take advantage if they are shopping for personal, non-commercial use. Businesses, however, are not eligible for tax exemption during this weekend.
It’s also important to note that the maximum amount that a shopper can spend per item to qualify for tax exemption varies depending on the item. For example, clothing items must cost $100 or less to be eligible, while school supplies must cost $50 or less per item. Electronics that qualify for tax exemption must cost $750 or less per item.
Alabama’s tax-free weekend is similar to those in other states. According to the Tax Foundation, 16 states offer similar tax holidays, with individual states varying in terms of items, quantity, and eligibility.
Maximizing Your Savings on Tax Free Weekend in Alabama
While the savings from tax free weekend can be significant, it’s important to have a strategy in order to truly maximize your savings. Here are some tips and tricks for savvy shopping:
- Create a shopping list in advance. By knowing what you need to buy beforehand, you can avoid impulse purchases and stay within your budget.
- Do online research. Researching prices and availability online ahead of time can help you make informed decisions and save time in-store.
- Shop early. Many popular items sell out quickly during tax free weekend, so it’s a good idea to get started early in the weekend if possible.
- Take advantage of online options. Many retailers offer online ordering with in-store pickup, allowing you to avoid the crowds altogether.
Don’t Miss Out on Tax Free Weekend in Alabama – Here’s When It Is
For those wondering when tax free weekend takes place in Alabama, the dates for 2021 are July 16-18. It’s important to mark these dates on your calendar and plan accordingly.
If you’re looking for more information on Alabama’s tax-free weekend, be sure to check out the state’s official website for details and a complete list of eligible items.
A Guide to Tax Free Weekend in Alabama for Savvy Shoppers
If you’re a savvy shopper looking to make the most of tax free weekend in Alabama, here are some additional tips:
- Head to outlet malls and shopping centers. These locations often have multiple retailers in one location, meaning you can save time and money by taking advantage of multiple deals in one trip.
- Take advantage of price-matching policies. Some retailers will match competitors’ prices, even during tax free weekend, allowing you to get the best deal possible.
- Avoid shopping for non-eligible items. While it may be tempting to buy other items not included in the tax free holiday, doing so could negate the savings you’ll receive on eligible items.
Planning Your Back-to-School Shopping? Here’s When to Shop Tax Free in Alabama
For those planning back-to-school shopping, tax free weekend can be an especially advantageous time to buy necessary items. By outfitting your children with new clothes, backpacks, and school supplies during tax free weekend, you can save significantly on these items. Plus, by shopping early, you can beat the crowds and ensure your child has everything they need when school starts.
Now that you know everything you need to know about tax free weekend in Alabama, it’s time to start planning your shopping strategy. Whether you’re shopping for back-to-school items or just looking to save on clothes and electronics, tax free weekend can be a great time to save. With a little planning and research, you can maximize your savings and make the most of this money-saving opportunity.
Remember, Alabama’s tax-free weekend takes place on July 16-18, so be sure to mark your calendar and plan accordingly.